Your job as an educator is vitally important to our country. We also know it's a demanding job and we want to help. This knowledge center is designed to provide you with information and tools at your fingertips so that you can quickly and easily share information with students.
The SMART Maritime and Transportation Resource Handbook and Career Guide
SMART Maritime Technologies Pathway
The SMART Center, working in conjunction with host institution Tidewater Community College (TCC), created the Maritime Technologies pathway which features academic certificates that can be "stacked" toward other certificates or the A.A.S. Maritime Technologies degree, and academic credit for required apprenticeship-related instruction (ARI) for registered apprentices working within the industry.
- Download a copy of the SMART Maritime Technologies Pathway Overview including outline of courses and credits.
- Download a handout of the SMART Maritime Technologies Pathway
- NEW! Download a copy of 2+2+2 Port Operations and Logistics Pathway
- NEW! Download a copy of 2+2+2 Shipbuilding and Repair Pathway
- NEW! Download a copy of 2+2+2 Vessel Operations Pathway
- NEW! Download a copy of Introduction to Ship Systems Curriculum
- NEW! Download a copy of Maritime Sectors and Careers
- NEW! Download a copy of Port Operations and Logistics Credentials
- NEW! Download a copy of Shipbuilding and Repair Credentials
- NEW! Download a copy of Vessel Operations Pathway Credentials
SMART Maritime and Transportation Institute-Produced Materials
Each summer the SMART Center hosts immersive week-long experiences for secondary and post-secondary STEM and CTE educators, college faculty and administrators, and industry professionals into the maritime and transportation industry. Each year participants produce classroom-ready materials. Please review and use with your students and notify us as to how we can support your efforts and measure your impact!
- How Much?! Making a Living with a Maritime Career (High School) - Module
- Vessel Operations: Learn & Do! (High School) - Module
- Maritime Life Board Game (High School) - Lesson Plan Board Game
- Maritime Occupation Exploration (High School) - Module
- Discovering SMART Maritime Careers Game (Middle School) - Module
- Discovering SMART Maritime Careers Game (Middle School) - PowerPoint Handout
- SMART Center Portside Intermodal Robotics Project (High School) - Module
- The Future of Maritime Engineering and Logistics: Automated Shipping Cranes (High School) - Module: Research Paper and Experiment
- SMART Girls STEaM Ahead! Career Exploration Unit for Girls (High School) - Module
- SMART Girls STEaM Ahead! Career Exploration Unit for Girls (High School) - PowerPoint PDF Handout
- Get SMART About Your Career - Career Exploration Unit (High School) - Module
- Get SMART About Your Career - Career Exploration Unit (High School) - PowerPoint PDF Handout
- Maritime Industry Pathway Exploration Project
- Maritime and Transportation Industry Webquest
- Simple Machines Webquest
- Maritime Careers Presentation
- Maritime Industry Employment Webquest Activity
- SMART Freight Forwarding Peer Evaluation Rubric, SMART Freight Forwarding Project Template, SMART Freight Forwarding Template
Registered apprenticeship is a centuries-old model of workforce development proven to increase productivity, lower turnover and provide workers with solid entry into middle-skill careers that offer tremendous long-term opportunities for advancement and credential attainment. Following are materials to assist educators in creating effective pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship programs and pathways:
Resources and pre-apprenticeship curriculum, available here, designed by the "Western Resources Center for Women in Apprenticeship." Includes instructor guides and presentations, student learning materials, tests and assessment materials.
Logistics and Transportation Career Pathway Development Materials
With 76% of all goods in the U.S. coming by way of marine transportation, technicians are critically needed by port-related logistics and transportation employers. Following are materials to assist educators and employers create effective career pathways for students to enter into port operations, logistics and associated transportation, distribution and logistics employer opportunities:
- A Roadmap to Career Pathways (career pathways in logistics and transportation)
- Teaching Guide: Movement of International Shipments (Grades 9-12; 10 lessons)
- Real-World Applications of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) (Grades 9-10) Lesson Plan, RFID PPT
- APICS - http://www.apics.org/
Maritime and Transportation Industry Core Competencies
The SMART Center commissioned a focus group study in 2010 working with industry professionals and educators to identify the core competencies necessary for technician-level professions in the shipbuilding and ship repair segment of the maritime and transportation industry. The product can be used to create industry-relevant curriculum, modules, and outreach materials for middle school, high school, and 2- and 4-year college programs.
TeachingTechnicians.org (www.teachingtechnicians.org)- This website links technician educators with National Science Foundation supported, state-of-the-art, faculty development in advanced & emerging technologies, teaching methods, science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The national maritime academies are four year institutions that provide students with a Bachelor of Science degree along with a license as Third Mate or Third Assistant Engineer.
- Maine Maritime Academy - www.mma.edu
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy - www.maritime.edu
- California Maritime Academy - www.csum.edu
- Texas A&M University at Galveston - www.tamug.edu
- State University of New York Maritime Academy - www.sunymaritime.edu
- United States Merchant Marine Academy - www.usmma.edu
Government Agencies and Associations
- US Dept of Transportation Maritime Administration - www.marad.dot.gov
- Federal Maritime Commission - www.fmc.gov
- American Institute for Shippers Association - www.shippers.org
- International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots - www.bridgedeck.org
- MTS MarView - www.marview.org
- Association of Ship Brokers and Agents - www.asba.org
- Freight Forum - www. freightforum.com