Applications Now Accepted for 2017 SMART Institutes
The SMART Center has opened the online application period for its annual SMART Maritime Transportation Institute. The Institute was created to provide educators with knowledge about the maritime and transportation industry and practical tools to promote cutting-edge STEM careers and career pathways into the industry to their students. This year applicants can apply online and choose from two Institute locations:
June 25 - 30: Norfolk, Virginia (Tidewater Community College) Download flyer
July 9 - 14: Baltimore, Maryland (Anne Arundel Community College) Download flyer
This intensive six-day model of professional development is designed specifically for middle and high school STEM or CTE educators, guidance counselors, college faculty, career coaches, and industry employers. The Institute offers participants:
- - experiential tours to industry worksites including ports, shipyards, intermodal terminals, workboats and MARAD ships
- - opportunity to network with peers in education and the maritime transportation industry
- - opportunity to contribute to a national digital repository linked to the
- - hands-on learning projects with Institute peers
- - vehicle to becoming SMART-certified STEM educator
The application period will close May 19 and cohort size at each location will be limited.
- - 6 CEUs from Tidewater Community College (TCC) and a stipend may be awarded to SMART alumni after completion of the full Institute week (no early departures and full participation in all Institute activities), submission of a module as defined at the Institute or a planned project or hands-on tool as developed through the Institute, and regular reporting of data and metrics to the SMART Center when requested online
- - lodging for out-of-town participants (who live more than 25 miles from the Institute location)
- - most meals
- - SMART binder of industry career pathway tools, research, and materials for classroom use. Apply online today!
- For more information please contact the Institute coordinators:
- Barbara Murray - Executive Director and PI, NSF SMART Center (Tidewater Community College)
Norfolk, VA SMART Institute
email@example.com or (757) 822-7485
- Kipp Snow - Instructional Specialist of Transportation, Logistics, Cargo Security Program (Anne Arundel Community College)
Baltimore, MD Institute
firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 777-2923
Learn more about our Institutes by watching our "Make the SMART Choice: SMART Maritime Transportation Institutes" video!